Thursday, November 1, 2012

Paul raises concerns over proposed Primark

I have raised a number of concerns over the proposed Secklow Gate Primark development, on behalf of local residents and market stall traders. My full submission to the Development Control Committee is below:


Members of the Development Control Committee
 
I wholeheartedly welcome the creation of new jobs and greater investment in Milton Keynes. However I have a number of concerns with these applications, which I would like addressed if the development is to go ahead.
 
My primary concern is for the market traders who will be relocated under these proposals. While I welcome the creation of new jobs, this should not be achieved at the expense of market traders. I would like assurances that no market traders will lose their livelihoods because of this development. I have also noted Hammersons objections to the location of the market and I would like assurances that a robust assessment of potential locations was carried out.
 
The demolition of Secklow Gate Bridge is also a concern. This will have a significant impact on residents in my ward, particularly residents of Fishermead and Central Milton Keynes itself, who use the bridge to get to the north of Milton Keynes. This will also penalise cyclists who use the bridge, doing much harm to our efforts to promote cycling in Milton Keynes. I have received a number of objections to the demolition of the bridge, all of which I have forwarded to the Planning Department of Milton Keynes Council. I would like assurances that a full assessment of the likely effects of the demolition has been carried out, as well as assurances that potential negative consequences will be addressed quickly.
 
My final concern relates to the building itself. I fully support the decision by English Heritage to make the shopping building a Grade II listed building. I would like assurances that the design and building materials used for this development, respect the adjoining listed building.
 
Assuming all these issues are addressed, I have no objection to the applications.
 
Kind Regards
 
Cllr Paul Williams
Campbell Park Ward
Milton Keynes Council

No comments:

Post a Comment